Saturday, January 1, 2011

Packing "Light" (and Happy New Year!)

I know I said the next time I wrote would be from Montreal, but I couldn't silence myself...we received the following instruction (multiple times) to "pack light," "don't bring too much stuff," and my favorite, "due to space restrictions in the vehicles, please be considerate of others when packing." In theory, I understand these instructions, and I most certainly would never want to be intentionally inconsiderate of others - so imagine my internal struggle and external chagrin as I try to to apply these theories in practice.

I wish I could boast about being one of those efficient, jet setter, McGuyver types who can pack for six months in a carry on size suitcase. I'm not - instead, I will offer (insert deep sigh here) - My name is Nicole, and I am a chronic over packer.
Telling yours truly to pack light is like telling your favorite pastor to keep this Sunday's sermon short, or the town drunk to "go easy." It simply won't happen.

Instead of looking at this negatively, I would like to think I'm providing a service for my fellow teammates. For one, if in case of inclement weather, I have provided additional weight to be used for traction in our vehicle. Secondly, if one of my teammates needs the use of a sewing kit, an extra pair of nylons, a shirt, a Tide pen, TUMS, or a Band-aid - I have it to share!

The feeling of not having everything you need for every possible situation, options for your options, is just not a feeling I like to experience. The wise Dr. Mahon provided us with this last minute analogy on analyzing case studies: trying to fit a case into a specific analytical tool is like trying to match the same pair of shoes for all of your outfits. My thoughts exactly, Dr. Mahon, my thoughts exactly. (Which is why I brought 8 pair, just in case.)

I apologize in advance to my teammates, coaches, and bellhop for overpacking. I'm not being inconsiderate - I'm just being prepared. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment