Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Final Thoughts as the Dark Horse goes back into the Stall

I apologize for not finalizing my thoughts sooner; upon returning safely to Orrington on Sunday afternoon, I was informed that moving day to Orono was to take place on Monday. Since then I have been scrambling with catching up on work, starting new classes, and making sure I have clothes in all the right places. I know, excuses, excuses - it just gives me more time to reflect....

Our overall ranking in the competition placed us third among the US teams, behind South Carolina and Pepperdine, but before Purdue, Pittsburgh, George Washington, Baylor, and Kent State! By my calculations (be careful here) we were tied for 12th out of 36 teams! We ended our last night at Molson with a bang, followed by an incredibly early rise Sunday morning to make the 6 hour trek home. The return was uneventful, and thanks to our driver, Dr. Mahon for a safe return - if only he could've helped me with the move...just kidding, of course.

Some finals thoughts on this entire experience...I have a lot of mixed emotions surrounding the event, the preparation and the wind-down. This process has very much been a journey and time for exploration as I constantly struggle to find my way (although it is about the journey and not the destination, right? RIGHT, RIGHT?!?!?!) Like Joe had mentioned, I think I am more disappointed at the conclusion of not being able to work with an incredibly talented, fun and amazing group of people. Each of us played our own role of course, and I am thankful for the opportunity to have worked with each and every one of my teammates. Even Joe. :)

I am also thankful to have been coached by some of the best in Paul Myer, Jason Harkins and John Mahon. If we were in the real world and our Molson team was a corporation, I cannot imagine what the consulting/coaching bill would've been, had all of them logged their hours and sent us a bill for services. . . maybe I shouldn't plant THAT little nugget of information.

At any rate, a final note regarding my coaches and teammates: I can't believe we spent that much time together, and the only time we quarreled was in the preparation room. I had an amazing time with you all, and I would do it again in a heartbeat (sans as much red wine) - London, anyone?

To the Coaches - please see previous blog for accolades and adoration, and thank you again to Paul Myer, Jason Harkins and John Mahon...

Ladies first...

To Kim Williams - she was the one the watch...with many years of industry experience behind her, she emerged as the leader of the pack. As a women, she would be one to act as a role model, both personally and professionally. (But she can flip back to Mom-mode pretty fast, let me tell you!) She doesn't shy away from conflict, tells it like it is, and has an enormous amount of patience. She handled our Q&A sessions like no one's business, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for her. I hope to be able to work with her in the future in some other capacity - London? With a side trip to Dublin??

To Victoria Thornton - for starters, she had to put up with me as a roommate, so she could get extra credit for that one....no comments from the peanut gallery, please. Tori performed exceptionally well in all levels of the competition, and I have fondly named her the "Mayor" of the Maine Business School (or Director of International Relations?) I think she managed to meet and engage in a conversation with every single person, not only in the competition, but the entire hotel as well. She is a fantastic presenter, and conflict-resolution manager ("now guys, let's all remember to be professional!" as Joe and Kim are yelling at each other - at which point, I am rocking in the corner, sucking my thumb with my ears plugged :) ) She is a confidant and I am happy to have gotten to know her.

To Joseph Kellner: I really relate to Joe, as we seem to share the 15 year-old boy sense of humor and a tirade of quotations and references from my all time favorite movie Top Gun. He was a quiet leader, but when he needed to get his point across, he did - and could admit when he didn't. He and Kim had a few good go arounds, but it was great to watch, because Joe is very poised and sticks to what he believes is right and needs to be said. He was the analyst of our group, and would come up with thousands of graphs for me to draw, as I refused to let him touch the acetates or markers (to his secret delight). I always thought Joe was quiet and reserved - not true....and that's what she said.

To Fred Kaiser, our endearing alternate - we couldn't have done it without him! Gathering intel should be his middle name, and he brought us information on other teams that may have shocked the Pentagon. He was our biggest male cheerleader (behind Mother Mary Mahon), and supported us tirelessly with plenty of coffee and chocolate - he satisfied our divas (yes, Kim and Tori, that was directed at you) and I thank him for his service! He will be instrumental in leading next years team - good luck and bonne chance!

Again, thank you to all for reading this blog and supporting the "Dark Horse"(s) - we couldn't have done it without your thoughts and prayers! Stay tuned for pictures, I will weed out anything inappropriate and post soon. Au revoir pour maintenant!

When did I get so emotional? Sheesh, must be all that reflective "Pines" living ....

No comments:

Post a Comment