Thursday, January 6, 2011

Live Case Day...

The day got off to a relatively disappointing start - not because of weather, teammates, or fatigue - it was due to the lack of protein served at breakfast. As most of you probably know, I really like to eat. When it becomes exciting to plan your day around the meals you eat and your glycemic levels and state of happiness depend on the critical intake of food....well, you can see why my day didn't start off so well.

We met at 9:30a.m. and had an hour to read the background on today's live case. Upon receiving our packet information, I jokingly commented that we were going to have to do a case analysis on the Canadian government. It was quickly dismissed by the team, but I had a nagging suspicion. I hate to say I told you so, but that was the gist of today's case - how we would develop an implementation plan of Canadian trade strategy, to ensure Canada is well positioned to be a player in the global market with its imports/exports. I could feel my blood pressure rise a bit, as a surge of American pride welled in my throat - Briefing on this case took an hour and a half (including Q & A time), after which we were whisked away to our prep room for the next two hours, to plan for our 25 min. presentation.

I have to be honest here when I say - I have nothing against Canada - my Dad was born in Canada, so I'll admit I'm 50% Canuck. As a resident of the United States, however, I didn't think it was entirely appropriate for numerous reasons I don't need to go into - do we even get a consulting fee for temporarily working the government of Canada? (The answer was a resounding no, by the way, to which the presenter quickly informed us there would be no pay for 36 teams of free MBA advice - how convenient.

Enough negative Nelly here - we received the results last night during a very spirited dinner, and we won against our Parisian competitors, 8-3. At three wins and a only one loss, that put us at second place in our division, and a good shot at making the semi-finals. We felt confident going in against the division leader, Aalto.

Final note: I'm sorry I didn't this out earlier....it's a long story, and I hope you will understand. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment